Public buses are the cheapest and often most convenient transportation to Geneva Airport (GVA) when traveling from downtown Genève and other suburbs.
Getting to Geneva Airport (GVA) is often the cheapest and easiest on Genève’s public bus system. Buses run from the airport to downtown Genève Cornavin train station, the international organizations, and several suburbs of Geneva as well as nearby towns in France.
The regular train is the fastest option if heading to Geneva’s main train station (also referred to as Genève-Cornavin station) or further into Switzerland.
Taxis in Geneva are very expensive and surcharges are made for luggage. Compare prices and reserve online for private minibus airport transfers to any destination in Switzerland and France – for small groups the prices may be competitive with public transportation. Taxis to the airport are considerably cheaper than taxis from the airport. Taxi2Airport gives online quotation.
Upon arrival at Geneva Airport, take a free Tout Genève ticket from the public transportation vending machine in the luggage claim area of the arrivals hall. It gives free travel on Geneva public transportation for 80 minutes.
Genève Public Buses to Geneva Airport (GVA)
The following Genève public transportation buses stop at Geneva Airport with bus 10 and 5 generally the most useful to visitors – the other buses do not pass through the center of Geneva City:
- Bus 10 connects Geneva Airport and Rive in the old town via Balexert and Geneva train station – use the Lyon (Gare Cornavin) stop.
- Bus 5 connects Geneva Airport and Thônex-Vallard via Palexpo, Nations (International Organizations), Gare Cornavin, Bel Air, Hôpital, Muséum and Malagnou.
- Bus 23 connects Geneva Airport and Carouge via Lancy (bus 23 does not pass through the center of Geneva)
- Bus 28 connects Petit Lancy and the Botanical Gardens via Geneva Airport, Palexpo-Hall 7, the World Health Organization (WHO), United Nations (UN), Red Cross (ICRC), and the World Trade Organization (WTO), and Vernier. Bus 28 does not run to the station and old town but many options are available from Nations stop.
- Bus 57 connects Geneva Airport with Zimeysa and Vernier/Meyrin stations.
- Bus Y connects Ferney-Voltaire in France with Val-Thoiry in France but pass through Geneva with stops at amongst others at Geneva Airport, Zimeysa, and CERN. (The Tout Genève ticket is valid for travel only while bus Y is inside Switzerland.)
All buses stop at the Swiss / International side of Geneva Airport near the railway station and never at the French sector.
By Train from Genève Gare Cornavin to Geneva Airport
The fastest connection between downtown Geneva and Geneva Airport is by train. The train takes only six minutes from Geneva Airport to Geneva Gare. This journey is covered by the Tout Genève ticket, which is CHF3. If added to a regular train ticket, the cost is CHF6. (On arrival at Geneva Airport, take a free Tout Genève ticket and buy onward tickets from Geneva Station.)
Gare Cornavin has excellent connections with Geneva’s public transportation buses and trams. Most buses and trams pass by the station. Many buses use stop Place 22 Cantons, which is a block to the west from the station stops.
Walking and cycling to the airport are also possible but do consult maps in advance as finding the safe crossing points of the highway (Autoroute A1) is not all that easy.
More Transportation Options to GVA
- Geneva International Airport – Aéroport International de Genève (GVA)
- Transportation to Geneva Airport (GVA)
- By Train to Geneva Airport (GVA) in Switzerland
- Trains & Buses from France to Geneva Airport (GVA)
- Genève Public Bus Services to Geneva Airport
- Winter Bus Transfers from French Towns to Geneva Airport (GVA)
- Trainline – an easy to use website for train timetables and tickets.
- Swiss Railways